This page will generally be limited to post-WWII propliners
that flew in or into California on a scheduled or regular charter
basis, and US carriers will have priority. (I hope others
will develop similar pages for other areas and for later /earlier
airliners - let me know and I'll set up a link!) I would like
to thank everyone who has built, modified, or helped with the planes
and other resources on this page.
the Cal Classic Propliners Site!
Click your browser's Back
button to return here
of my (i.e. Greg Pepper's) propliners (i.e. the CV-340, DC's, etc.)
have been tested in FSX and P3D v1 and v2 and they work OK. They are not compatible with
P3D v3 or later. You may need to find
compatible blurred prop textures if you are using FSX SP2 or later.
start switches have the most problems when using FS9 panels. Sounds are
OK as is. If you get
emergency power warning in the sim, put // in front of the line in the
plane's panel.cfg file that includes
scenery, etc varies; ask at my forum in case someone has already tested
Do you need help with
installation? How do I get my plane listed properly in the
Select Aircraft menu? How do I get ATC to call my plane using
the correct airline, manufacturer, and model? Take a look here first!
Note: Some of the
file downloads are located in the AVSIM and flightsim.com file
libraries. You need to be logged in to their file systems before the
links will work directly.
|Are You Just Starting Out Flying
First, some instructions on using this site.
1. If no text link is provided, click the picture to download
The main page links are at the top of this page, alongside
"post card". Information on the left side, downloads on the
Here is a checklist of things you might want to do to maximize your
1. Download and read the FSAviator Propliner
Tutorial. It will give you most of what you need to
know about flying propliners.
2, If you are using FSX or P3D v1 or v2, read the FSX
Propliner Tutorial. This will give you instructions
on setting up the views.
3. Download and install any propliner Base Packs.
They are listed on my Aircraft Page.
Download and install any other airline liveries to the Base
Packs. Follow the text files included in the Base Packs to
these textures. Do NOT install complete aircraft when adding
Base Pack, only add the textures to the Base Pack.
5. Download and install any desired classic airport scenery
packages from my Scenery
Don't forget to add these as a layer in the Scenery Library.
The correct layering of the scenery layers can be found at
top of my Scenery
If you installed any classic airport sceneries download and
install the FS2004 Custom Scenery Library (files 1 and 2).at
top of my Scenery
Page. If you are installing into FSX, also install the FSX version after installing the FS2004 files.
7. If you want worldwide classic AI traffic, download files
1-10 (at least) from my AI Aircraft Page
and install them. Follow the instructions in the traffic file
download to allow the use of modern traffic when you desire.
8. If you have any problems, head to my Forum.
Register and post a question there. Propliner
should be posted to the main Discussion Forum. If you are
interested, keep up with the latest developments right there in the
Hope you enjoy
flying the propliners!
June 18, 2019
- Updated Aircraft! I've converted the DC-7C models to FSX native and created a separate Base Pack for FSX and P3D.
June 17, 2019
- Updated Aircraft! I've converted the DC-7 models to FSX native and created a separate Base Pack for FSX and P3D.
June 16, 2019
- Updated Aircraft! I've converted the CV-340 and CV-440 models to FSX native and created separate Base Packs for FSX and P3D.
April 30, 2019
April 24, 2019
- New Livery! I've painted up a United DC-7 in 1960 colors.
April 23, 2019
- New Scenery! Ken Lawson with Shannon from 1954.
April 21, 2019
- New Sceneries! Aaron Seymour again with Adelaide and Hobart in 1962.
April 17, 2019
- Updated Liveries! I've updated the American and United DC-7F liveries from Frank Gonzalez!
April 14, 2019
- New Scenery! Aaron Seymour has created more airports - Colombo, Ceylon, and Christchurch and Wellington, New Zealand!
March 1, 2019
- New Scenery! Aaron Seymour has created Brisbane Eagle Farm in 1965 and Perth Intl. in 1963!
February 21, 2019
December 31, 2018
- New Scenery!
- Rome Fiumicino in 1961 from Michael Schneider, Mike Stevens, and Tom Gibson.
- Mexico City in 1962 from Eduardo Rocha, Tom Gibson, and Mike Stevens.
December 17, 2018
- New Tutorial! Converting FS2004 Aircraft to FSX format using ModelConverterX.
December 16, 2018
June 14, 2018
April 27, 2018
February 13, 2018
December 18, 2017
- Updated Scenery! Wolfgang Gersch has updated his 1962 Jakarta Kemayoran scenery!
December 1, 2017
- New Scenery! Wolfgang Gersch has created Macon, GA and Warner Robins AFB!
July 13, 2017
- New Scenery! Al Courtney, Kenny Fox, and I have created Miami in 1962!
- Updated Scenery! Mike Stevens has updated my LaGuardia 1959 scenery! Casey Brasel has created an FSX version!
February 7, 2017
July 26, 2016
- New Scenery! Ushuaia
Argentina 1962 by Mike Stevens!
June 17, 2016
May 31, 2016
- New Scenery! Recife
Brazil in 1962 from Wolfgang Gersch and Harry Biard!
May 17, 2016
- New Scenery! Chris
Helton has created version 2 of Washington National Airport!
May 1, 2016
- New Scenery! Mike
Stevens and I have created Prestwick airport in 1962!
April 2, 2016
- FSX Scenery! Karachi
Pakistan converted by Casey Brasel!
- Nice, France conveerted by Casey Brasel!
- C. Czarnecki has created Pennsylvania Airport Scenery
- Finlay Fraser has created Basra Maquil and Abadan!
Pacific Northwest 1960 scenery version 2 is here!
Buenos Aires Ezeiza airport from 1961 by Harry
Biard, Alejandro Ramirez, Jaap de Baare and Wolfgang Gersch!
Athens, Greece airport from 1962!
New liveries and airlines! GA traffic updated too!
- New Scenery! Tunis
El Aouina airport in 1960 from Michael "Sabi" Schneider,
Wolfgang Gersch, Harry Biard and Tom Gibson!
Bordeaux Merignac airport (LFBD) has been updated to an FSX/P3D version!
Ramirez and others have created Grenoble Mermoz in 1963!
- New FSX/P3D Classic Library mega pack using
DDS textures! Conversion by Alejandro Ramirez.
Propliners has received the Editor's Choice Award from FS Magazin!
FS Magazin is a German magazine that publishes information
the latest FS news and releases, along with in depth articles on many
aspects of Flight Sim. There will also be an article about
site in the June 2015 issue, when released. I am honored that
community has been chosen for this award!
Antonio Martinez Castro has created Melbourne and Brasilia airport
scenery. Brasilia city scenery too!
February 4, 2015
Scenery! Mike Stevens and I have created
version 7 of the California 1959/1962 project!
- New Scenery!
- 1962 Oklahoma City airport scenery from Dan French!
March 15, 2014
Libraries for FSX now available!
Install the FS2004 version, then the FSX update.
October 10, 2012
Updated! The FSX Mini-Tutorial
has been updated with new information about cfg settings with
widescreen monitors, the Repainting Tutorial
has been updated with new techniques for using DXTBmp, and the Sketchup
Tutorial has been updated to use the latest version of
the Material Editor in ModelConverterX. There is also a new tutorial on
changing multiple colors at once using PSP 7.0. BTW, if you haven't
read FSAviator's Propliner Tutorial,
please do it now!
October 21, 2010
- New Scenery Package!
Scenery Library. This file (175MB) contains
almost all addon scenery libraries needed by our classic sceneries.
Once this is installed, you can normally ignore the "download and
install these scenery libraries" advice in the text files.
February 23, 2010
- System 7 users - when adding
scenery to the Scenery Library, after finding the new scenery's folder
and clicking OK, you will need to right click the empty
white space in that box so the box closes and the new
scenery is actually be added to the library.
February 1, 2010
Era Charts now available! Thanks to several
generous people we now can see how the airlines flew into various
airports back in our era. There are also airport diagrams available!
November 15, 2006
- New Tutorial! FSAviator has
created a vintage flying tutorial,
for aircraft like the Ford Trimotor! It also includes a flight dynamics
tweak for the Trimotor!
July 29, 2004
- New Tutorial Quick Reference File!
FSAviator and I have created a Quick Reference guide for use when
actually flying an airliner route, using the techniques explained in
his tutorial (below). However, you must have read and understood the
entire tutorial first before you will be able to use the quick
July 20, 2004
- New FSAviator Propliner Tutorial!
This is it! The only tutorial written that describes in complete detail
how to fly the propliners like they really were flown in the classic
era (from 1932 up to about 1955 in the USA, later in other areas). Most
information is completely applicable for flying in later years as well.
It comes in text file format, and includes 5 parts:
- General Operation of Propliners
- Flying the Ranges
- Flight Planning for Long and Short Distance Flights
This is an exhaustive tutorial that takes you through the
details of each phase of flight, and comes complete with approach
plates for visual aids (Adobe Acrobat required to view/print approach
plates). The complete tutorial is 1.1 MB. I printed it, read it, and
now keep it by my computer for ready reference! Copyright FSAviator
June 15, 2002
- The California Classic page has a new home!
We've moved into our new home - www.calclassic.com,
and I hope that you like it.
March 14, 2000
- The Classic Airliner Page has become the
California Classic Propliners page! Same address as
January 18, 1996
- The Classic Airliner Page is born! Its
original address was http://members.aol.com/TGFltsim/
Jets are for kids!
Instructions for many problems and how to install
aircraft, panels, and sounds here.
Tom Gibson, and I hope you enjoy my page. If you have any
questions, don't forget to check the Instructions first!!
You can get many questions answered by leaving a
message at the California
Classic Forum (propliner questions) or the FreeFlight
Forum (aircraft design questions). You can also
send me email - this is a despammed address -
remove the first t from
My other interests include railroads (especially Alco diesels and the WP),
computers, camping, fly fishing, and Modoc County (far northeast
California). Drop by again - soon!